Senigallia is a modern seaside town of approximately 50,000 inhabitants offers its guests all kinds of sports facilities, a small tourist harbor for the mooring of 300 boats, 13 km of velvety beach in the setting of its gentle hills often immortalized by the photograph Mario Giacomelli.
Its history dates back to 2000 BC when it was founded by the Liburnians. The city’s name is due to the Gauls (successive to the Etruscans), who in 400 BC gave to their village the name “Sena”, and later the Romans, having conquered the Gauls in this area in 290 AD called it “Sena-Gallica”. With Charlemagne passed under the dominion of the Church and in 1106 became a free city. From 1474 to 1631 it was under the dominion of the Della Rovere. The port of Senigallia became the center of the maritime trade of the Duchy of Urbino and after the devolution in 1631 in “Piazza del Duca” this function spread throughout the Papal States. Trade center of the city is the famous “Fiera della Maddalena”, which from the middle of the 600 and the end of 700, favored by the franchise of the port, reaches the utmost importance with more than 50 000 foreigners from Levantine countries, from central northern Italy and central Europe. In confirmation of its fame, Carlo Goldoni, in 1760, called “La Fiera di Sinigaglia” one of his plays for the music and there set the action.
At the end of 1700 it was occupied by Napoleon Bonaparte and the Austrians in 1815 reported the town under the Papal States. Senigallia takes part in the uprisings and is admitted to the Kingdom of Italy in 1861. Undergoes the bombing of the Austrian fleet in 1915, while in 1944, the allies liberate the city from the retreating German troops. After the war, there is a recovery in sales and production, and especially in tourism. “Piazza del Duca”, adorned the fountain of the Lions (1596), is dominated by the mighty “Rocca”, built (1480) and designed by Baccio Pontelli for Giovanni Della Rovere. On the same square facing the Palace of the Duke, built on the XVI century, ancient ducal residence and the “Palazzo Baviera” built on the 1400. Of environmental interest are, the “Foro Annonario”, a neoclassical Forum (XIX century), and, on Lungomisa, the “Portici Ercolani” (arcades built on the second half of the XVIII century).
The sixteenth century “Palazzo Mastai” behind the “Palazzo Comunale” is home to the Pio IX’s Museum with memories and relics of the Pope who was born here in 1792 and from Piazza Roma you can see on the left into “Via Fagnani” the elegant facade of the church “Chiesa della Croce”. The Diocesan Picture Gallery is located in “Piazza Garibaldi”, adjacent to the Cathedral. At 3 km, where is located the cemetery on the hill, stands the Renaissance church of “Santa Maria delle Grazie” in 1491; inside, a Virgin Mary and Saints by Perugino (1489).
The adjoining convent, with two elegant cloisters, is home to the Museum of rural civilization.